Being Gluten-Free

Gluten Free Bread
I have to admit sometimes I feel like I'm taking away some people's joy! A client comes into my office searching for answers for their health problems, and I often have to put them through a bit of a restrictive food boot camp. I muscle test for food sensitivities, and when I discover what foods are causing their reflexes to react abnormally (and therefor determining them to be sensitive to these foods), I recommend that they stop eating those foods. 

Generally, there is an underlying cause of why they have these food sensitivities. When the body is detoxed of underlying toxicity and dysbiosis, their bodies can heal, and they may test less sensitive to these foods. 

Patients probably give the most sour puss face, when I inform them that they are muscle testing sensitive to gluten, over any other food vial that I test.  Many patients have received gluten sensitivity testing, and tell me that they didn't test sensitive to gluten. Fortunately, I have two vials for gluten, one is gluten and the other one is gliadin. This allows the test to be very accurate for a true gluten sensitivity.

It's not easy doing the gluten-free thing, but I wanted to devote this newsletter to those of you, who are eating gluten-free. An important point about being gluten-free is that many gluten-free  products contain potato starch. If you have a solanine or night shade issue, you should avoid these products. The same thing goes for corn sensitivity, as corn is used as a substitute as well.

I have decided to include two of my favorite gluten-free recipes that I think you will really enjoy.

Here is a great gluten-free desert. This is actually my original recipe that I created about two years ago. It's a chocolate, gluten-free, (no added) sugar free, can be dairy free, flourless cake:

2 tablespoons cacao
1/2 cup quinoa flour (for protein)
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon baking soda (aluminum free)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cooked sweet potato (cook it for atleast an hour and a half - 2 hours ideal on 350 degrees) normal size sweet potato not too gynormous
3 organic eggs
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder scharfenberger
7 oz. chocolate bars chocolove brand (whole foods) 70 percent --about 1 1/2 to 2  bars
2 tablespoons stevia
1 1/2 sticks butter ( 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk if dairy sensitive )
1 tablespoon sea salt
7 dates
3/4 cup hot water (just before boil)

1. Soak dates in warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Melt chocolate bars and butter (almond milk or coconut milk if you want it to be dairy free) over low flame, heat water and put all ingredients into a Vitamix or food processor and process.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray cake dish with olive oil or other butter etc. put all contents in 8 or 9 inch circular cake dish. Bake for 30 minutes but check after 25 minutes depending on the oven.

For frosting:

soak 1/2 cup cashews 2 hours
coconut milk 3/4 can
sea salt table spoon
coconut oil 5 tablespoons
date paste (soak them in water 2 hours) 3 dates
coconut 1/2 cup
Vitamix, blend, or food process and wah lah!

Another gluten-free favorite of mine is a french crepe called socca. The traditional socca is made from garbanzo bean flour. Sometimes I will play with the flours and combine teff flour (a healthy grain native to Ethiopia). You can add quinoa flour, buckwheat flour, sorghum flour or use garbanzo bean flour alone.

Here's what you need for socca or socca like cepes:

1 cup (4 1/2 to 5 ounces) chickpea flour 1 1/4 cup (8 ounces) water 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,  more for the pan 3/4 teaspoon salt and seasonings of your choice (cinnamon, black pepper, roseamary, herbs de provence, etc.)
1. Whisk, blend or vitamix together the chickpea flour ( or use 1/2 of another gluten free flour), water, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl. Let rest for 1/2 hour to 2 hours.
2. Turn on broiler and put a 9 to 13 inch skillet, baking dish or pan in oven and preheat oven and pan for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the oven. Put a tablespoon of olive oil or another oil spray in skillet. Whisk the chickpea batter quickly again and then pour half of the batter into the skillet (or all if making a thicker socca). Cover the entire pan with batter.
4. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until you see the top of the socca begin to blister and brown.  The socca should be less cooked in the middle but crispy on the edges.
5. Use a spatula to work your way under the socca and ease it from the pan. You can cut it into smaller pieces. Sprinkle with cinnamon alone or alternatively salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary or herbs de provence. Experiment with what seasonings you prefer. Drizzle with olive oil or sesame oil on top and serve warm.

I discovered  two great gluten free pasta alternatives recently. They are both made by the company "Explore Asian." One is their black bean spaghetti and the other is a mung bean fettuccine. Both are really good and are very high in protein. I usually cook the pastas and than put olive or sesame oil on them with spices. Garlic and herbs usually do it for me, but season to your own liking.


Erewhon makes great gluten free cereals made out of hemp, chia, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat and other gluten free grains. The brown rice crispies even snap and crackle, but they need to work on the pop. I add a little stevia to foods, if I want them to be slightly sweeter.

Also, for a hot cream of wheat breakfast alternative, try quinoa flakes. You prepare it similarly to most hot cereals. Julian bakery makes paleo bread, which is made out of coconut and/or almond flour. I like this bread best, because many gluten-free breads contain potato starch, which is out of bounds for nightshade or solanine sensitive people.

The important thing to realize being gluten-free is that we are living in a time when the awareness that gluten is a health issue for many people is increasing. There are a lot of alternatives and there will be more and more products out there that cater to gluten sensitivities.

Alright, initially my patients might scowl and give me a sour puss face, when I tell them my food bootcamp recommendations, but when they return to me telling me that they feel better than they have felt in years, I realize it's all worth it and I truly love what I do!


Dr. Louis Granirer
NYC Chiropractor
HolisticChiropracticCenter.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collagen Deficiency and Wrinkles

Organ Spotlight: The Gallbladder

NAD+ Levels and Their Influence on Aging and Cellular Energy